Re: [T3] That's what I get!!

On 17 Oct 2002, at 9:30, David Hornback wrote:

> Jim, how many miles of use would you consider "quickly", I would have to say I
> have driven only about 100 miles(maybe less)on these pads.

I'd expect 100 miles to do it, but if they were highway miles, with little
braking that might not be enough. It would also depend on how crooked they
were.

> >I'm suspicious that the calipers have been rebuilt improperly and that the 20
> >deg cutouts are installed incorrectly in the outer caliper pistons.

It COULD also be an improperly machined caliper.

> These "cutouts" are these part of the hardware on the later two bleeder
> calipers; and these calipers look brand new.

The cutouts are in the face of the pistons in all the OE calipers and the early
replacements. Recent replacements lack them.

> >If the calipers have two bleed screws, they may have been swapped side for
> >side.
>
> How would I know (other than swapping them) if they are installed on the wrong
> axles? Part # designations?

You have to remove the pads and look at the face of the pistons. If the
pistons themselves are prefectly cylindrically symmetric then you have late
replacement calipers with no cutouts. If the outer rim that contacts the back
of the pad has an "interruption" cut into it, then this is the cutout. Each
piston should then have a similar cutout and on a type 3 they should all be
on the lower forward side of the piston. If they are anywhere else the piston
has been inserted wrong and they need to be rotatedl.

If these calipers look new, you may not have the cutouts, but this (I'm
guessing here) may make it more likely that the caliper was machined
wrong. On late replacement calipers with no cutouts L=R.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054