Re: [T3] Heads -- which, where to get? this is where

DUDE,

Try The Bugpatch or Beetlemex on the sites below, the owner/machinist work
at Bugpatch has been featured in several VW magazines, he is a quality type
of guy. He only sells quality and machines quality and he can sell
you heads outright without machine porting for 110 bucks and the
valves a little bigger than the factory MEX VW ones, he mainly sells NEW
genuine factory VW casted Mexican heads with the standard
3/4 inch reach plugs (yeah for the new old bug cars still made,
it is standard), I beleive the price was 110 a peice. Give the guy a call,
VW is casrted on them.

I have been to the shop and what he sells is very good, I have been
given recommendations from baja racers and some other offroad
freaks on those Mexican genuine VW heads. I live in Baja you know.
They have told me that they are the best heads they ever used.

I have tried and damaged the following heads on my stock 1600 cc
freeway squareback :

- AMC of Spain , melted aluminum under vave seats. Valve seats went inside
deep.

- Autolinea of Brazil (they make CB also) 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch plug types,
   I have a neat pile of 6 cracked heads and three of them have the
sparkplug
   machine boses crooked-askew at an angle.

- MOFOCO heads, USA made very expensive did not crack, still looked new
   after   some good torturous miles, no burned oil marks, shiney still but
  machining was very bad, I complained, returned
  the head, got the same head back untouched with a note "machininhg is
  adequate" . Two valve seats fell out , so much for adequate machining,
  looked like they machined it with a rasp. Lots of extra fins but cooling
flow
  through areas are blocked.

- Old German heads most durable if never cracked 1/2 inch reach plug area
  tends to crack with my kind of driving , 4 in my bad pile now.

- Mexican heads, I am still testing, going 90 mph... sometimes, head temp
  sensor reads over 100 degrees cooler than MOFOCO and 50 degress cooler
  than the German cast. more air flow through area. Many recomendations
  given to me for these. I bought mine at a  Mexican VW dealership ,
Bugpatch
  and Beetlemex are the same. Bugpatch is the cheapest for these. Mine at
the
dearship cost me 150 where as the Bug patch would have cost me 110 dollars
Beetlemex is a bare head, call to negociate price for head and separate
valves,
Beetlemex is just like factory Mexican VW heads with tiny valve and very
thick
exhaust valve stem. Bugpatch unported heads (non mod) have larger than usual
valves,
I guess his source upgrades them before selling heads to Bugpatch.

I hope I have helped you !

http://www.btlmex.com/

http://www.thebugpatch.com/

LEON MARTINEZ

SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA

*****

I need to replace my heads, as my current ones have just been termed "welded
up junk." Bummer. Not exactly the start I had imagined. I can replace 'em
locally for $129 apeice, and they seem like a good deal, but they're the
Brazilian ones. Is that a problem? Moreover, I'm hoping for a little boost
(miniscule, actually) with the larger pistons and cylinders, should I have
any special headwork done to help climb the mountain grades this winter? Any
guidance? Pitfalls? Engine specs: 1641, carbs, full-flow oil, balanced.
Thanks, folks. av