Re: [T3] '63 brake problems - more info

On 16 Oct 2002, at 6:56, Everett Barnes wrote:

> Larger pictures of my "may be bad" upper ball joint:
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/10152002/balljoint1.jpg
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/10152002/balljoint2.jpg
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/10152002/balljoint3.jpg
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/10152002/balljoint4.jpg
>
> There is some wear like it has been slammed side to side, maybe that doesn't
> matter.

The "wear" that I can see looks normal, as in like new. What I can't see is
what the condition of the ball is. If it is rusty and pitted then it needs to be
replaced, but if the darkness I see in the picture is just old grease with a
smooth shiny ball under it then it is fine.

> I checked the wear per my '61 shop manual, it is within spec.

If the ball looks okay then it is just fine.