Re: [T3] TIRE SIZE

Hello-

> nope shad, i have had several sets of the Mahle 4 lug wheels, all were
> 3.75 from the mounting surface to the inner wheel lip.

If a 3.75" backspacing were correct, that means they have a 1" offset.  If
that were true, it would have been absolutely _impossible_ to run them on my
'71 Ghia with 195-series tires and not kill the rear fenders.

I think I need to go to the garage and measure my spare... I'm _positive_ it
doesn't have a 1" offset.

> they are a great
> type 3 wheel!

Now that is true!  They're light, too... at ~13lb, they weigh in lighter
than a 914 Fuch ("2.0") and a 911 Fuch.  :-)

> and can be run without the spacers with narrower tires.

I had to run 1/4" spacers on my '72 T3, but only because the axle stubs
would have poked through the center caps otherwise.  I could have taken them
off and remachined them, but it was easier to just add a spacer and get a
free 1/2" of wheelbase :-).

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.LNengineering.com