Re: [T3] Was: '66 Seat cables...now '66 updade

On 13 Oct 2002, at 21:42, Westfalia wrote:

> Bad: 	Pulled up the carpet this afternoon and was dismayed to see heavy
> amounts of rust simmering under the stock tar/foam board on both the
> driver and passenger side under seat areas. There was also an nice
> little ant nest tucked away in that humid mess.  Looks like some DPO
> left a window open and water was on the floor for a L O N G  time.

The most common cause for this is not an open window or bad door seal,
but leaking fresh air vents. The airbox from the louvers in front of the dash
has drain hoses to carry away water that falls in there. When these hoses
clog up the water drips down onto the floor. You can (MUST!) just pull out the
hoses and clean them out.

> Good:	Also on the positive front, I examined the seat cables and
> discovered that they are in fact complete and unbroken.

Nice going. ;-)

> I don't have the key for the ignition (next project)to turn it on.

Late cars, 68-73 have just one key for the doors and ignition. On these cars
you can take out a door handle (passenger side is best) and take it to a
locksmith to have a key made.

Some earlier years have separate keys for door and ignition so this won't
work. I'm not sure about the 66.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org