Re: [T3] Question about this 6V tach

On 13 Oct 2002, at 17:04, Keith Park wrote:

> There never really were any Type 3 tach's... just tach's that were made to
> fit the hole size, and many of them were actually a mm or 2 off.

There really WERE VDO tachs made to exactly fit our type 3s. They were
sold by VDO as aftermarket accessories, so they certainly didn't have VW
part numbers on them, but they fit perfectly and matched all the other
instruments. VDO probably stopped marketing these in the mid 70s. These
are a good example of a part that is OEM, but not OE.

I remember looking at the ads for these in Road & Track in about 1971 and
wondering if I could afford the ~$70 that they cost then. Unfortunately, by the
time I thought that I could, they had stopped selling the grey faced ones that
would have matched my 68 and only had the black faced ones available.
Regrettably, I never bought either.

OTOH, type 34s came with a stock VDO tach which WOULD have a VW
part # on it because it was supplied thru VW. I understand that this tach
differs from the aftermarket VDO type 3 tach in that it has a "dent" on one
side to clear something under the type 34 dash.

There are also other generic tachs made by VDO which may be a close fit,
but they won't have the right spring fingers to hold them in place in a type 3,
nor will they have quite the same lettering style and color.