Re: [T3] Quick question

On 10 Oct 2002, at 21:44, Scott Taylor wrote:

> >>And the earliest pulleys (before December 62) were about an inch
> larger in diameter.<<

> >>Really! I had no idea....<<

> My Ghia has one. I have a 1963 edition of the VW Workshop manual that
> has side-by-side pictures and states:
> "from chassis no. 0139781 the diameter of the crankshaft pulley was
> reduced from 234mm to 208mm (9.1" to 8.25"). This reduces the speed of
> the generator, changes the ratio from 2.6 to 2.3 and alters the length
> of the belt from 1050mm to 1000mm."
> Wonder what the reason was. Generator problems?

Probably generator considerations. They may have found that people tended
to drive these in a more sporty fashion and the pulley ratio was just too much
for the generator. Or they may have changed the generator at the same time;
is there any evidence of this?

If they had gone to a larger dia generator at the same time, then these
changes might have cancelled each other out while allowing for a larger
power generator.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org