Re: [T3] Automatic + carbs

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Didn't quite get that. Is the automatic notch a parts car? If it's a driver
bear in mind that it's also one of the rarest types of Type 3. I think I
once asked about them on the list too, and we came up with two of them, and
now yours is the third.

Because VW made different models for different markets, some types of Type 3
seem to be quite rare, at least among the members of this list. I suspect
that if there were more Germans on the list we might find more of them. As
it is, most of them seem to be in Australia or New Zealand. One or two are
left in Israel. The UK seems to be ruled out because no notchbacks were sold
there after a certain year (1965?)

The rarest types seems to:

Automatic notchback (because most automatics went to the US and the notch
wasn't sold there. Europeans notoriously don't like automatic transmissions,
to this day)

FI notchback (anybody have one?). FI notchback automatic (anybody heard of
one?) I've never asked about this but I suppose they're uncommon, because
most FI cars went to the US and the notch wasn't sold there.

Any automatic with carbs

Automatic Type 34 (approx a dozen apparently exist worldwide)

I admit that my interest in these oddities was sparked by my own car, when I
realised what a weird beast it is. It falls into two of the above
categories. This is not necessarily a good thing, as finding good advice and
info is not always easy: on the Type 34 list no-one else has an automatic,
and over here almost all the automatics are FI. Some parts are probably
almost impossible to get, like the carb linkage with kickdown switch or the
special balance pipe that the automatic transmission vacuum hose connects
to.

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic
http://www.qldesign.com/type34