Re: [T3] FI Fuel Tank "size"

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hello-

> > Yes, all the spec books say 10.6 gallons.  But I'm having a problem, and
was
> > wondering if it was typical or atypical.  By the time I get to a bit
over 9.6gal
> > or so, the fuel pump starts cavitating (on flat road... inclined roads
are
> > different, and there's a VERY interesting and entertaining story that
follows
> > from this if anyone is interested... :-), i.e. the pump gets really
loud, and
> > after awhile, you'll start misfiring.
>
> This is not normal.

Well, that is the normal way to run out of gas with a high-pressure,
high-volume, Bosch CIS pump (i.e. not like the little D-Jet pump).  Instead
of the D-Jet fuel system, I use a fuel pump, filter, and accumulator from a
Mercedes CIS car.  True, my car isn't CIS, but the Bosch CIS pumps are an
excellent buy, as when run below the spec'd ~75psi for CIS, they put out
lots of flow.  And, since they're not made from a one-piece billet or
anything fancy like that, they're a heck of a lot cheaper than the
ultra-cool (and expensive) aftermarket FI pumps.

The only unnormal part is it happening at 9.6gal :-).

> I'm assuming you have already cleaned the sock.

When the symptoms occur, I pull of the gas sender and look down in there.
The sock isn't clogged.  There isn't *that* much debris down there.

> The normal FI pump will pull the tank completely dry; it is not set higher
at
> all.

If I pull off the gas level sender, I can peek down inside there and see
that the line for the pump inlet is ~1/4" higher than the bottom of the
tank.  Is this the abnormality?

> I suspect there is another explanation. The FI tank has an insert, a kind
of
> "cup" that sits on the bottom of the tank. It is open at the top to allow
the
> gas gauge to stick down into this volume, too, but it has a special
feature at
> the bottom.
>
> The normal FI pump circulates excess fuel around the engine and back to
> the tank. Where it returns to the tank, that inlet squirts the returning
fuel past
> the double wall into the "cup" mentioned above. There is a small space
> between the cup and the bottom of the tank, so this returning fuel will
draw
> gas from the main part of the tank and drag in along, into the "cup." When
> the tank is getting low, the fuel level in the cup will actually be higher
than in
> the main part of the tank. You can actually see this if you look in the
tank of
> a FI car while the engine is running and the tank is less than 1/4 full.
(One of
> the effects of this is to make the gas gauge lie to us during this time.)
This
> scavenges gas from the main part of the tank and keeps the pump primed
> until you're REALLY out of gas.

How big is this cup?  Would I be able to see/notice it from the gas level
sender hole?  Or, would I only see the cup?

> Those of you with FI cars will also have noted that you can start these
cars
> up on a nearly empty tank only to discover that the gauge reads nearly 1/4
> full a few minutes later. This is simply because the jet pump has filled
the
> cup while you were driving, pushing the gauge up. At this point it would
still
> be a good idea to be looking for a gas station.

Aye, this happens :-).

> If your tank was rusty it is likely that the passage from the main tank to
the
> inside of the cup is at least partially blocked.

That's possible.

> In addition, I'm gonna guess
> that you don't have any fuel return to your tank, so you don't get the
"jet
> pump" scavenging action.

Why not?  I may have tossed the T3 engine and the D-Jet aside, but my T4 is
FI'ed, too :-).

> The result of all this would be that gas can only
> leak slowly from the main tank into the cup via leakage thru the rust
driven
> by the differential head of the different fluid levels. This probably
leads to
> starvation of your pump when there is still significant gas in the main
portion
> of your tank.

I've pulled off the gas sender when I've "run out of gas" with some still
left, and can see that the fuel level is right at the top of the output
nipple, the one that's 1/4" or so above the bottom of the tank/cup/thing.

> If you stopped and then looked down in the tank, it would probably have
> leveled out in the time it took you to get the tank open to inspect it,
however.

The first time it happened, I stopped and inspected it while the pump was
just staring to get loud.  My first guess was that I'd kinked the suction
like to the pump, but after inspection that wasn't true.  I pulled off the
gas level sender, and I inspected it with the car running.  The pump was
loud - air was getting in there.  And the gas level was just *barely* above
the top of the nipple, i.e. so little that it looked like the walls of the
tube saw fuel and the middle didn't.

> The space between the cup and the main tank wall will be very hard to
clean.
> Chemical treatment MIGHT be effective, but you might be better off finding
> tank in better condition. I have several.

I might have to figure out something like this.  <sigh>

Thanks!

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.LNengineering.com