Re: [T3] Rear Brakes

Thanks for the responses--the handbrake adjuster was the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: type3@vwtype3.org [mailto:type3@vwtype3.org]On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 10:13 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Rear Brakes

On 3 Oct 2002, at 20:50, Cory Medlin wrote:

> I recently bought my first T3 - a 1971 squareback. What a blast. I decided
> to replace the entire braking system since the car had been sitting and
the
> brakes were frozen. All is complete but the new drums will not fit over
the
> new shoes(old drums go on fine). I have backed off the adjusters
completely
> and the handbrake is released (and not frozen in the "engaged" position-I
> checked). I replaced the wheel cylinders and they are fully retracted.
After
> some testing I have determined that the drums will fit fine until I
install
> the bracket that goes between the upper half of the shoes and activates
the
> handbrake. In fact, only when I add the handbrake actuator(that clamps on
> the bracket) does the problem occur. Guy at the parts store says this is
> common--break out the grinder. That makes no sense to me--has anyone else
> had this experience?

Don't grind anything. They are either the wrong shoes, or you have
something installed wrong. It is NEVER necessary to grind something to fit.

The fact that they go on okay with the PB hardware removed means that the
PB hardware IS actually holding the shoes somewhat apart. There is a
stepped notch in one end of the crossbar. If you get this installed wrong it
won't want to work quite right. Note that there are not 2 different mirror
image
versions of this bar, so it seems to fit funny on one side. It is actually
just
fine and works perfectly.

You may have to take a good look at your Bentley manual to see how these
parts actually go together.