Re: [T3] type3 Digest #341

On 4 Oct 2002, at 10:54, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Ummm...sorry to be so ignorant.  What are "standard colors" and "L
> codes" ?  You mean I can go to a store and buy spray paint in Marina
> Blau?  I've never seen it.

"Standard color" here just means a standard color for VW from that era.
Every auto manufacturer has standard colors and there are code numbers for
each color. In VW's case these numbers are frequently prefixed by an L, as
in L-633, and this code appears on a paper sticker in the trunk, or at least it
was there when the car was new.

The L just stands for lack, which is the German word for paint.

The code for Marina Blau is 54 D, or L 54 D. If you take this number in to a
body shop supply store they can mix matching paint for you. This will look
like your paint did when it was new, but may not be a perfect match to your
30 year old paint.