Re: [T3] oil cooler spacers

On 2 Oct 2002, at 19:30, hisham bakr wrote:

> I am about to install new oil cooler seals on my 70 square and when I took
> my cooler off it was assembled funny. The studs were right side up and their
> support collar was not there and the "spacers" were used as washers above
> the nuts!!. I suppose I'd have to reassemble it the same way with the studs
> upwright. Questions is: do I use the spacers as Bentley & Muir clearly
> state. My archive search here led me to belive that spacers are only for
> adapter seals. Right

This is such a confusing topic that I wrote a FAQ on it. I'll email you a copy
directly. If your engine is all standard '70 parts, then it should not have any
spacer washers between the cooler and the case. The spacer washers were
ONLY used between case and cooler in engines before '70.

The correct orientation for the 2 oil cooler bolts is heads down. This leaves all
3 nuts showing on top. These often came with spacer washers and wavy
washers under the nuts, but on top of the cooler, where they made no
difference.

Note that most gasket sets do NOT contain the oil cooler seals that you
need. You will need to purchase them separately. They are NOT the green
8mm/10mm adapter seals.