Re: [T3] security

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hello-

> I was wondering what some people have done to make their type 3s safe
> from theft? I live in southern california and we have plenty of unsavory
> types around.
> ryan

Best security device I know of is a shift-lock.  The T1-style fits a T3 (no
auto trannies though...).  Lock it in reverse!  Far and away, the best thing
around.  If you have one, I recommend never locking your doors unless you
have expensive items in the car - that way, a thief won't break your window
to get in, but won't get too far once he is in.

I have one on mine, along with a highly-modified short throw kit and a T3
shift knob made of clear acrylic with a chrome standard T3 shift rod.  Looks
pretty, shifts very cleanly, and makes it that much harder for a thief.

Many other ones I know of are all electrical, and with a little brainpower
they are figured out.

Hidden kill-switches are also useful, but often easier to figure out.  The
fuel pump relay falls into this category.  You want a kill switch that ONLY
kills the FI/ignition system - leave the lights, starter, etc. all
functional, and it's a little harder to figure out.  I knew someone who had
a big van and installed a set of three inconspicuous 3-position rocker
switches on his dash - it looked like fog lights or something.  If they
weren't "spelling the correct code," the ignition to the engine was gone
:-).  I have a kill switch mounted to my glovebox, which I can lock.
Getting to the switch from the outside of the box is difficult/impossible
with the A/C stuff in the way.  Then again, breaking open the glove box
isn't exactly a huge task, but just makes it that much more difficult to
steal.

When I'm *really* paranoid, I go to the engine compartment and rewire my
engine.  I make it *look* like everything is just fine, but it won't work at
all.  Especially in So. CA, you want it so that even a typical VW nut won't
know what's up.  Swapping spark plug wires is nice, but easy to figure out.
Pulling out a rotor is easy, but a VW nut with connections in Mexico will
likely have one in his pocket.  If you have a CDI box, then screwing up the
wiring on it is fun (I did this all the time on my Ghia).  If you have a
semi-complex ignition system and a tach, setting up a switch that grounds
the line to the tach is a good idea, too.

If you have an FI car, then there is a myriad of ways to confuse people.
One of my favorites is to simply leave the MAP line loose.  Your car *might*
start, but it'll never run very well :-).  I've done this on my FASTback, as
the Autronic computer uses MAP just as the D-Jet does.

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.LNengineering.com