Re: [T3] From east to west , and back

BranM=> next summer ... Charlotte NC to SO Cal, and back.
=> ... ideas for routes and things to see on the way?

Getting to southern California in summer will require significant desert
travel. In terms of comfort, the way you'll want to get across the plains
and deserts depends on the specific time of year and how much time you have.
Unless you've got a lot of wandering time you'll probably want to go not
much farther north than I-70, so you're gonna be hot. If you can embrace the
heat and you don't need to be there in a hurry, there is a wealth of
wonderful places and things to see and do in the Southwest, and with
different routes coming and going you can take in a lot of it; if you like
camping out, a whole world opens up in the backcountry. Much of the good
stuff is noted in the Rand McNally, but doesn't get much press, so you might
pass it by. If you haven't been west before, the map might look a little
sparse to you. Take my word for it, this is not the case.

There's so much that it would be pointles to try to list it randomly, even
just for my state. How much physical energy do you have, and what are you
into seeing? Old Indian places? Archaeology? Blues clubs? Caverns? Western
movie backdrops? Unique ecosystems? Amazing mountain hikes? Snakes? The
Canyon, which everyone should see at least once? Glitz, glamour and gaming?
History? Big pine country? "Artist's communities"? Big science: astronomy,
biology, nuclear physics, alternative energy? Volcanoes? Animals? Astounding
sunsets? Old cars? We've got it all, man.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600