Re: [T3] Wiper blades & refills.

On 24 Nov 2002, at 10:36, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

>  Jim, ALL of my type3s have 13" blades, the Notch and the Fasty have Bosch
> blades on them, that I ordered from a catalog that listed them as type3 parts
> like RMMW, CIP, etc..

This is a really difficult question, and it is clear to me now that it is more
complicated than I first thought. I have not been able to find anything that
specifically calls out the length of the parts that were originally used.

Perhaps the most complicating factor is the fact that we think of wiper
blades in inches, while they were all metric as originally supplied.
Sometimes these metric sizes were close to an even inch, most of the time
they were not.

While my microfilm calls out one size blade assembly for all cars up to the
end of 70, reading farther I now see that there were about 4 different
replacement rubber inserts called out for those years. My microfilm printouts
have a handwritten note in my handwriting indicating 36cm (14.17in) for the
68-70 blades and 38.1cm (15.00in) for 71-mid 72. The latter one should
probably be just 38cm.

I looked this up in an older paper type 3 dealer parts book and I find there
that they call out several different sizes: one for 65 and earlier, 2 different
sizes in 66, one for 67, one for 68-70, one for 71-mid 72, and one for mid 72
and 73. The latter one is probably just a change of frame color, to black.

I have a bunch of the original SWF blade frames, and they are all over the
map in sizes. Some may be OE type 3, some may have come from other
types, and some might be aftermarket SWF, perhaps in inch sizes. At this
date it's just impossible to tell.

My oldest Bosch catalog only goes back to 66 for type 3s and it doesn't give
lengths. It's also not possible to be sure that they are the original sizes or
replacement sizes which were marketed here..

So I have to agree with you that your 65 may have had a size close to 13",
but I'm pretty sure that the original would have been an even cm, not inch,
size. I see that 13" = 33.02cm so this is pretty damn close.

By 68, though, I'm SURE that they had grown to 14" (probably really 36cm.)
My first type 3 was a 68 which I bought new, so I'm pretty familiar with how it
came. I probably still have the blade frames downstairs, somewhere in the
collection....