From: <gregm@vwtype3.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 2:15 PM
Subject: [T3] drive a type 3 around the world!

O.k., the subject is misleading. ;)

I have my red needle speedo (thanks, Jerry!), and I want
to add some 20,000+ miles to the odometer to match my '69
Squareback's mileage.  I went ahead and attached a speedo
cable and plugged that into a drill.

I wound it up and pegged the needle.  Watched a mile go
by... didn't time it exactly, but it was going at a rate
of a couple of miles per minute; over 120mph, but under
200mph.

A little conversion from this estimate shows me that it'll
take a couple of days to almost a week -- running
constantly -- to advance the odometer to where I'd like
it.  Heh.

Don't know the drill's mtbf, or if the speedo minds
running at double or triple its typical opertational
maximum.  Don't really want to leave it running unattended
24/7, either.

Aside from patience, or driving around the world on this
speedo, ;) does anyone have any suggestions?  I recall
that it's a risky business to take apart the odometer and
try to get it back together nicely.  Oh, this unit is
January 1962, if that matters.

-Greg