Re: [T3] Darksider

On 22 Nov 2002, at 12:23, Shad Laws wrote:

> I'm not convinced that it was a blunder.  It almost seems like they were
> sweeping the floor of surplus engine components.  I remember talking to Jake
> Raby about this... he's torn apart 3 or so of them, and they have some really
> goofy items.  For example, one of them had a case that had NO engine number - it
> was _never_ stamped!

I think they were just trying to come up with an economical way to produce
the 912, and realized that they already had a rather high production 4 cyl
engine available. This gave them their pathway to abandoning the 356/912 4
cylinder which probably came with the usual Porsche production costs.

In reality I think they were right about everything except that they forgot the
extent to which Porsche enthusiasts looked down their noses at anything
VW.

The oddball items are probably just the hallmark of any small production item.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054