From: Shad Laws [mailto:shad@lnengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 11:24 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Darksider

Hello-

> > On the Type 4, the ENTIRE A/C belt system is outside the ductwork of the
> > cooling air.  The pulley is located _forward_ of the fan (it displaces
the
> > spacer-washer thing on the hub),
>
> Is that to say that the outside rim of the pulley (which incorporates the
V-belt
> sheave) actually forms a rotating continuation of the duct surface at that
> point?

You're thinking of the alternator belt pulley.  It is _backward_ from the
fan, and does what you describe.

The A/C belt pulley is 100% beyond the "boundaries" of the fan shroud.

> If so, doesn't this mean that there is a gap all the way around this
> pulley then, both in front and in back of it?

Half-right.  There is a slight gap in back of it between the pulley and the
stationary ductwork that leads to the rubber boot on the body.  In front of
it, however, there's no gap.

Now, around the fan itself, again there are two slight gaps, but they are so
small that they aren't worth mentioning.

> This sounds familiar, but now that
> I think of it, it seems strange. I wonder if this is a problem area, or if
the
> rotation of the pulley and the small gap, make for a kind of aerodynamic
> "seal" there, so that little warm air actually gets sucked in.

Yes.  Plus, the exact design of the lips of the pulley and ductwork create a
very convoluted path for the air to follow.  The leakage is essentially
negligible.

> > There is one possible exception to this: the 1976 Porsche 912E (not to
be
> > confused with the 1965-69 912).  Those 2099 rare examples had an oddball
> > engine in about 3 billion different ways, and I don't remember how they
did the
> > A/C thing...
>
> I completely forgot about those. Only 2099...? I certainly never saw under
the
> hood of one of them.
>
> What a blunder for Porsche.

I'm not convinced that it was a blunder.  It almost seems like they were
sweeping the floor of surplus engine components.  I remember talking to Jake
Raby about this... he's torn apart 3 or so of them, and they have some
really goofy items.  For example, one of them had a case that had NO engine
number - it was _never_ stamped!

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.LNengineering.com