Re: [T3] Darksider

On 22 Nov 2002, at 8:37, Shad Laws wrote:

> On the Type 4, the ENTIRE A/C belt system is outside the ductwork of the
> cooling air.  The pulley is located _forward_ of the fan (it displaces the
> spacer-washer thing on the hub),

Is that to say that the outside rim of the pulley (which incorporates the V-belt
sheave) actually forms a rotating continuation of the duct surface at that
point? If so, doesn't this mean that there is a gap all the way around this
pulley then, both in front and in back of it? This sounds familiar, but now that
I think of it, it seems strange. I wonder if this is a problem area, or if the
rotation of the pulley and the small gap, make for a kind of aerodynamic
"seal" there, so that little warm air actually gets sucked in.

> There is one possible exception to this: the 1976 Porsche 912E (not to be
> confused with the 1965-69 912).  Those 2099 rare examples had an oddball
> engine in about 3 billion different ways, and I don't remember how they did the
> A/C thing...

I completely forgot about those. Only 2099...? I certainly never saw under the
hood of one of them.

What a blunder for Porsche.

-
Jim Adney