Re: [T3] '62 Notch

> <<<From the microfilm:  ...>>> Thanks for the info on the engines.  I
> have built engines many times before and I would prefer to find one
> complete.  The hunting of parts is a nightmare.  A few small parts is
> OK, after all, all engines need this!  Does any engine within the engine
> # range work for that year as far as being correct?  Maybe I can find a
> trade for my current engine!?!?!?  Thanks, Mike

The early engines have some important differences from the later ones. The
case and everything else out to the heads are the same as later models,
but the heads are essentially 40hp Type 1, with larger valves and used
only on the early models (61-63?). The intake manifold has difffent style
flanges order to fit the head. The cooling tin is also unique in order to
fit the heads and manifold properly. Also, the cooling tin is a bit
narrower at the sides where it fits up close to the engine compartment (at
least compared to FI tin, I don't know about mid-60's but I suspect the
same), so if you use a later engine you will need to do some minor changes
to it. Distributor is again similar to the 40hp Type 1, with small but
important mods to fit the Type 3 properly. Exhaust has rear heat
exchangers more like a Bug but the later Type 3 carb style will also fit.

That's all I can think of right now.

---
Nathan
'62 Notch