Re: [T3] Darksider

On 21 Nov 2002, at 13:18, Shad Laws wrote:

Jim Adney said:

> > It's not just the power, but also the holes that have to be cut in
> > the fan housing for the V-belt that let in warm air for cooling the
> > engine.
>
> There are ways to remedy the problem, but many don't...
>
> Of course, one easy way to remedy the problem is to use a T4 engine
> which isn't subject to the problem to start with :-).

This seemed good to me when I first read it, but after a little
thinking I'm confused again. I don't see how the T4 engine "isn't
subject to the problem to start with."

I know that some versions (buses and 914s) of the type 4 engine
are sealed from below, like the beetle engine, thus these engines
don't have sealed ducted cooling air intakes, but some do. I know
the type 4 that I work on does, for example. This particular type 4
also has AC, but off hand I can't remember how the compressor
belt is run, but I KNOW that it comes outside the duct (the
compressor is outside, on the left) so there must be a hole cut in
the duct to pass that belt.

Since a type 4 engine into a type 3 body would require a ducted
input, what did you do to make this not a problem?

What am I missing?

-
Jim Adney, Associate Researcher
Plasma Physics, 608-262-4643