Re: [T3] Darksider

Hello-

> I'm wondering why people like certain year type 3's
> and the advantages of getting an earlier or later
> model, whether or not anyone has A/C,

Sure.  I have an A/C system in mine.  It compliments the gas heater well...
full "climate control" :-).

A/C on the aircooled VW is funny since it was never a factory option.
Dealer-installed aftermarket units were the closest thing.  And,
unfortunately, many had weaknesses.

If you design the system properly, there is NO reason why A/C is a bad idea.
As one of the big changes you should do over "original," you should swap out
the 2-cylinder York compressor.  It draws 5-8hp, which can be a big draw on
your little engine.  Rather, use a Sanden 5- or 7-cylinder compressor
(5-cylinders being cheaper and 7-cylinders being more efficient, but usually
5 is good enough).  A typical 5-cylinder Sanden takes about 1.25-1.5hp,
which isn't a problem for your engine.  I've done a few VW A/C conversions
using these compressors - they're great.

> whether or not people prefer FI...

FI is a good thing.  It also requires more thought and reading to make it
work, so its often hated by mechanics familiar with carburetion <shrug>.
One downside of the stock FI system is the difficulty in working well with
modified engines.  Yes, it can be adapted, but it isn't easy.  It's quite
tricky.

> Also, I know I have always
> preferred manual transmissions, but it seems like an
> awful lot of people on the list have automatics... by
> choice or by circumstance?

The T3 automatic transmission (not to be confused with the T1 autostick, or
semi-automatic, or automatic stickshift transmission) is a durable unit.
While true that more performance still lies with the 4-speed manual, the
3-speed automatic isn't a bad thing.

> And one more while I'm at it... Are there a lot of
> people on the list with type 4 engines in their type
> 3's?

Yep.  I'm one of those, too :-).  I like having 2615cc of ultra-durable
220hp power back there.  AFAIK, I'm the only nut with a T4, FI, and A/C
altogether... (the FI is 0% stock, though).

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.LNengineering.com