[T3] Vacuum Advance and setting ignition timing

I have a quick question.  I have read that you can set the ignition timing with the
vacuum advance hoses plugged OR unplugged (left connected).

I have a 1972 FI Engine (E-brain, matching parts) with MT and a 1968 single vacuum adv.
distributor.  Since I do not have the adv./retard 72 dizzy, I time it like a 73.

When I disconnect and plug the vacuum hoses, the idle drops ~200 RPM and the timing
retard ~10-15 degrees.  Normally, with hoses plugged, I adjust the idle back to ~850 RRM
and time the car.  I then re-connect the hoses and reset/lower the idle to 850RPM (since
it raises with hoses connected again).

I just want to verify that this is the correct procedure.

I have been working on getting my car up to snuff and everything is okay, but my mileage
is not so great.  I want to eliminate timing/tune-up variables since they are simple to
take care of.  A list of things I have done to the car follow the message.

Thanks!

Here are other things I have done:

Replaced Pressure Sensor with E-brain sensor (old sensor died)
Fuel Pressure is 31 PSI at idle and under load
Dwell is 48
Valves adjusted
Fuel lines replaced everywhere (including from ring to injectors)
New Fuel Filter
Replaced both temp. sensors (their values were constantly drifting up and I read in the
archives high values.  Replacing these made a huge improvement in how the car drives and
warms-up)
New Bosch Voltage regulator and voltage is now ~14+ V (was around 13V with old VR)
plus some more I cannot think of at the moment.

=====
all new and now with genuine meat by-products...
http://www.machobeagle.com