Re: [T3] Odd Rear Wheel Mystery

On 19 Nov 2002, at 14:09, Wilson wrote:

>  When I got home I pushed the car in the driveway and figured out that the
> noise was coming from the hubcap, pried it off and found a lug-nut totally
> out of it's socket. Upon further inspection I found that the hubs were loose,
> but safe because the cotter pin was holding it from coming off. I looked at
> the other side and found that the hub there was also loose, but the lugs were
> all tight.

It certainly sounds like someone wasn't paying attention. The torque for the
lug bolts is ~95 ft lbs, which is NOT as hard as you can tighten it with an 18"
breaker bar.

The hub nut should be quite a bit tighter. I believe its torque is 225 ft lbs,
which is a 150lb person standing on the end of an 18" bar.