Re: [T3] JC Whitney

In a message dated 11/19/02 10:23:20 AM Central Standard Time,
volswaggen@yahoo.com writes:

<< Are these parts just considered "only if you have to?"
 I had a CJ5 and at one point ordered a few things from
 them because they were the only ones left who had
 certain parts I needed. Nothing ever fit quite right.
 I was wondering if it's the same situation with VW
 parts? There's no indication of where any of the body
 panels or mechanical parts are built, but they
 certainly seem to have a lot of type 3 parts
 available. >>

There was a good article in one of the magazines about how Beetle parts from
different countries don't fit well. For example, the hood, front fenders,
rear fenders, especially fender skirts seldom fit identically.  The rear
aprons don't have the same inner markings as the model gets later and later.
I own a 1964 Beetle, and it looks like it has been wearing a one-eyed mask,
something I only noticed too late. I own a 1949 Hebm?ller, wherein nothing
fits unless it's German. I own a 1964 Type 34 where everything fits properly;
but such cars are not known to have been bulit except in Germany.

These days, all parts come from either Mexico, Brazil, Italy, or Taiwan.
German parts are generally no longer available. You can get German parts by
buying them used or
NOS. But you have to specify and pay for the German parts, if available.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com