Re: [T3] Heat - Couple of questions

On 16 Nov 2002, at 18:32, CAD Man wrote:

> what is the purpose
> of the smaller pipes running above the valve covers off of the "U" pipes?

These pump a small amount of unheated fresh air forward to where it will mix
with the heated air in the mixer boxes on the bulkhead in front of the tranny.

>  I saw (at least in the pass. side, didn't notice in driver's) a thermostat
> inside the main port seeming to go to where these pipes enter the car.  What
> do they do?

The thermostat senses the temp of the hot air and mixes in cool air to keep
the hot air from getting TOO hot. It also allows for increasing the volume of
heated air which gets into the cabin. They make a big difference, If you don't
install them your heating will be compromised in several ways, the main one
being that when the thermostat opens, the heated air will just spill out of the
mixer box and get lost.