Re: [T3] electrical issues (was:Speaking of headlights...)

On 12 Nov 2002, at 13:22, Steven Ayres wrote:

> JimA=> I love a good sound system.
>
> Me too. I'll add that I think an good sound system is more or less wasted in a
> Type 3, as we don't have enough insulation from road and vehicle noise to allow
> for decent listening. More decibels overcome noise, of course, but at the cost
> of your ears and nervous system.

I'm afraid I have to agree. I really like my AM/SW/FM Blaupunkt, but in the
whole trip to Parma and back I don't think Dave and I listened to it at all. I
suppose it would have been different at city speeds, or if the outside temp
had been lower so the windows could have all been closed, but at high
driving speeds it was hard enough to just hear one another.

For some reason, I don't remember this being so much of a problem when I
was younger. My daughter claims my ears are failing. She's probably right,
but I find HER hearing to be rather selective, too.   ;-)

I also wonder if all the rubber bushings that the front axle and rear subframe
are mounted on have hardened up with time. This would not be
unreasonable, and I KNOW that the rest of my 69 square got really baked
sometime in its earlier life. I've replaced a lot of hardened and cracked rubber
bits that I've never seen perish on a Wisconsin car.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054