Re: [T3] 1964-65 M249 (was 1964 1500S)

On 12 Nov 2002, at 20:56, cyber notchback wrote:

> One trashed case because the PO drove the car for (?) miles AFTER hearing a
> loud bang, (#3 Exhaust valve head snapping off?)!  Yikes!  The # 3 piston
> shattered into a 100 pieces, and flew into the case, but not before it cracked
> the cylinder, (it came off in 4 pieces!!),  snapped the spark plug, and may
> have also damaged the upper inner head stud mount in the case! The #4 piston
> was seized to the cylinder, I still haven't gotten the cylinder off,  the
> spark plug was bent.  I gave up on the case when the upper inner #3 head stud
> broke off while I tried to remove it, (see above)!!

I would still urge you to make the effort to get this apart. I'm sure that RIMCO
could fix the damaged head stud problem with case savers, which I would
recommend anyway. You will probably have to destroy the #4 cylinder to get
it off, then you can split the case and see if it can be saved.

The matching case would be a very nice thing to have in your car.

We'll all hold our breath to hear the outcome from you.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054