Re: [T3] Oil pump sizes

since oil is passing between the bearing and crank, the amount of overside
on the align bore doesn't matter, UNLESS oil is leaking between the bearing
and case. I'm a huge opponent of any align boring, I've never had luck with
it unless it was done on a brand new case (to T-4 main size), and RIMCO does
all my machine work.

The only way to prevent cooler blowouts using a 30mm pump is to either

1) use a berg pressure relief cover. In my experience these create more
headaches then they solve when the valve sticks open.

2) modify the case, specifically enlarging the oil pressure bypass return
hole. This is NOT something you want to just "try" for the hell of it, you
better know what you are doing.

I recommend you use a 26mm pump, there is more then enough pressure and
volume for any non-turbo engine under 7500 RPM.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

> Basics: My engine has a replacement case from 1973, align-bored .010 over,
> and I'm attempting to full-flow the case. The case is tapped, and ready to
> go, but I have "information conflict" happening over the size of the oil
> pump.
>
> Here are the arguments:
> My local VW shop owner tells me that I MUST have a 30mm pump for a case
> that's .010 over to maintain correct oil pressure throughout the system.
Add
> a spin-on filter and extra lines, and I suppose that makes sense, BUT....
>
> Aircooled.net has a billboard-sized warning about running 30mm oil pumps
in
> T3 applications because they'll blow the cooler seals. They (he)
recommends