Re: [T3] 1964-65 M249 (was 1964 1500S)

--- Scott Taylor <scottbtaylor@earthlink.net> wrote:

> all 1500S engines would have had a letter code
> stamped near the engine
> number: an R stamp if it had domed pistons or an N
> stamp if it had flat
> tops (M249). This calls for a survey. Calling anyone
> with an original
> 1500S engine: do you have an R or N stamping on your
> case or not?

Hi Scott, All,

My original '65 domed piston S motor, (I chalk this up
to mouse nests, (made up of the seat stuffing) that I
found above both cylinder banks.  Well the motor is
now a huge paperweight, the head broke off the #3
exhaust valve.   And to make matters worse the PO
continued to drive the car!   Needless to say the
results weren't pretty), was original when I tore it
down.  The chassis # is 315153156, the engine # is
0916684. and as Scott surmised at least my domed
piston motor had/has the "R" stampped in the case.
Hope this helps.  As a side note can anyone give me an
idea of a body/chassis/motor production date?  TIA

Cheers,

John La Francois
Blauvelt, NY
'65 Notch S (Nubb) Awaiting RUSToration, oh and a new
motor :(
'67 Beetle (Bubb) Currently under RUSToration
'98 Jetta GL (Wolfgang)