Re: [T3] type3 Digest #443

>I need advice on restoring my gas tank, is
>this necessary?

When I first got The Baroness, I ruined 2 (very expensive!) fuel pumps.
The crappy mechanic I was going to finally figured out that the tank was
rusty and had water in it and rust was flaking off and getting into the
pump along with water.  On his advice, I tracked down a new tank and
bought it to him to install.  They sold me the wrong one and I had to
bring it back on the bus and exchange it, but that's another story :^(
About a year, a different garage, and maybe 3 or 4 replaced fuel filters
later, I was driving up to Davis in a torrential downpour and The B.
started dying on me.  I made it to Davis (just barely) and got her towed
to a VW garage there.  The mechanic was terrific; turns out he had a
squareback himself and was a big SB fan.  He drained a quart of water
out of her (new!) tank, found the bad vent hose, and told me it was
really rusty inside.  The rust was flaking off, clogging the filter, and
water was going into the fuel pump, (along with rust?  can't remember).
He took off the bad hose and sealed the hole with a cork so I could get
home.  He also found out that the charcoal fuel vapor canister thingy
(don't know the proper name---it's in the front, driver's side wheel
well) was also completely rusted out. He tracked down a clean tank and a
charcoal thingy and had them shipped to me.  The mechanic at the new
garage I was going to told me it wasn't necessary to have the tank
coated, but I insisted and he finally sent it out to be cleaned and
coated.  He installed it and he didn't replace the vent hose!  When I
went to put gas in the tank, it burped up at me and only quick reflexes
kept me from being doused in gasoline.  Boy, was I mad!  I drove right
back there and let them have it.  They were terrified of me for months
after that ;^)

Anyway, after this long story, $400 invested in fuel pumps, numerous
trips to have the fuel filter replaced, and a LOT of wasted time, money
and effort, my advice is have the tank cleaned and coated.  You only do
it once, it's not expensive, and then you don't have to worry about it.

BTDT,
Lori and The B.