Re: [T3] Euro Lamp inner running lamps

<x-flowed>

Daniel Baum wrote:

Hi all,

I am speaking from a standpoint of complete ignorance here, but if it can
help someone then all the better.

I just went to the Home Center (it's just a hardware superstore with a car
department, not a proper car parts place) and had a look at the kinds of
headlight bulbs they sell there. It was mostly various kinds of halogen
bulbs (H4, H1 etc) and bulbs for rear lights, inside lights etc. of various
kinds,  but they also had some big round bulbs made by Hella called R2.

The R2 could be the Bilux bulb. Here is the bulb: http://public.fotki.com/volkswagen/headlights/1000038_img_2.html and as you can see from this next picture, it has a circular base, not similar to the H4 which has three "fingers" to locate the bulb. http://public.fotki.com/volkswagen/headlights/1000046_img_2.html

On the same subject, my ex-Ford Focus had some weird bulbs which looked kind
of crystal shaped, any idea what they were?

These could be of the new generation of bulbs, often called Hb2 or Hb4.

New cars have completely smooth
glass on their headlights, and clusters of bulbs inside. How do they direct
the beam?

The reflectors are computer designed to give a more precise light output compared to the old technology where the lense is cut to shape the light. Still, these cars use a single bulb, and in many cases still uses a H4 bulb, instead of the modern bulbs found in the Focus and Opel Astra. The VW Bora is an example of clear headlights with H4 bulb.

Then there's also the elipsod headlights, which gives a really beautiful light output with a razor sharp cut-off line. These lights have a very little reflector, a cut-off shield and the lense which gives the light a very smooth band, without any bright and dark spots, which can be seen on some cars. The ellipsoid lights were originally used for low beams and fog lights, now they are making their way as high beams as well, and are of course also available with HID (High Intensity Discharge) or Xenon if you like.

Again, apologies if all of this is just really obvious stuff.

Well, it is obvious to me, but I'm sure many poeple find this interesting, that's why I'm typing like a madman here :-)

PerL
73 Variant L