Re: [T3] Speaking of headlights...a relay upgrade?

> Would be true to say, that if we are upgrading to H4's, and don't want to
> change the relay system, that we should choose the 55/60 watt bulbs?

The wiring is good for a bit more than the stock rating, so 55/60W would be
no problem.  I'm not a very keen advocate of high power lamps - you can
generally make things a lot better by ensuring all the wiring, connectors
and bulb-holders are in good clean condition, including the earth wires.
You can even run a separate thick (fused) wire to feed direct from the
battery.

There's something to be said for additional 'spotlights' run separately with
their own relays and switches, aimed to improve lighting and aimed so they
don't dazzle or switched by the main or dipped beam relay as needed.
However, I don't generally drive fast (only normal highway speeds) or on
rallies so I don't really need extra lights.  I'm sure Toby, Per, Brian etc
will have more useful input to supply on this topic!

Cheap tinted bulbs are generally considered the least satisfactory, and
would have to run at a higher wattage to make up for some of the light
absorbed by the tinting.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/