Re: [T3] Speaking of headlights...a relay upgrade?

On 8 Nov 2002, at 19:09, Dave Hall wrote:

> >  I was running 100/90w h4s and my relay would overheat! So I
> > bought some german made syvania "cool blues". I thought that the 100w
> > were pulling too many amps for my relay. But I was wrong. I looked at
> > the relay and its rated for 100w.
>
> I assume you have one relay for each headlight, otherwise you will be giving
> the relay 200W on main beam.  Maybe the contacts have melted rather than
> corroded?  The wiring at 100W power for each bulb will be carrying over
> twice as much as normal too.

Dave's right, and I'm embarrased to admit that the 100W rating on this relay
always puzzled me--it never occurred to me that this was the TOTAL power
for TWO headlamps. I had always thought of it as over-rated.

There's one of these relays sitting on my desk: VW # 311 941 588A. I think
the same relay was used from 67-70 on type 3s and beetles, perhaps on
type 2s, too.

If you wanted to continue to run 100W lamps, you should probably use one
of these relays to trigger a couple of heavier duty relays, one for high beams
and another for lows. You would want to use relays rated for 15A or more for
each.