[T3] 1964 1500S

I've confused myself looking up old threads.
Anyone care to clear this up if you would.

I've read that all 1964 1500S vw's were high compression with "domed"
pistons,
but also read that there was an option for a low compression engine.
Was there no option for this in 1964?

This is in regards to a Canada Car, 1964, 1500S, Notchback.

Perhaps I need to look for an "R" or "N" near the engine number -
which would be near
the split on the case.

Anything else to look for without tearing the engine apart to
determine whether it's
high or low compression? I do not believe it has (or had) the round TS
badge on the back.

Thanks,
-Dana