Re: [T3] Questions concerning fuel injection parts

On 11/5/02 4:39 PM, "Hugh Lawrence" <localman26@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the temperature sensors and pressure
> sensor are fine, Mark. (of course, the PS could be mechanically messed up,
> but I don't think so)

The only real mechanical thing in there is the metal bellows element.  If it
holds vacuum (and if the adjusting screw hasn't ever been "adjusted"), it's
OK.  An indelicate way to check is to just suck on the hose and hold the
vacuum with your tongue.  That hose needs to be tight at both ends (at the
PS and at the intake manifold) for the PS to work right.

> The car ran fine (looks good too, I love it) but developed a problem
> recently where it will conk out after about 4 minutes, even just at idle.
> I have looked at everything pretty much (TS's, PS, trigger points) except
> for the fuel pump. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge; I guess it's time to
> go buy one.

Is this an intermittent thing or a predictable, regular event?  Follow Jim's
advice on the relay test.  It's probably not a fuel pressure thing.  For the
gage, by the way, you don't need anything fancy.  Since we run only about 30
psi, you can make up a perfectly good gage for less than $10 using parts
from the plumbing department of your local hardware store.

Do you by chance have water in your system?  Could be if your overflow hose
is broken or missing from under the right front fender behind the filler
neck.  Water in the fuel might cause the funny exhaust sounds and a host of
other fuel system problems.  That hose is hard to find, but you can probably
rig something up using hardware store parts.

-Mark Fuhriman