Re: [T3] Running Unleaded

On 6 Nov 2002, at 0:34, Mark Seaton wrote:

> Yes it is the <20mpg(imp) and yes it does have the stock single vac dist and
> in every other way is stock- except I changed the carbs for some nos
> 32PDSITs. I think they came from a KG originally and I had to drill the hole
> through the venturi for the dist vac and swap the jets etc. I measured the
> hole from the originals and matched it but maybe this is an issue?

It is most likely that you're still running just a bit rich. You might want to get
someone to do an emissions test of some sort, that might prove instructive.

> When I check the timing with an inductive light, it seems that the vac
> doesn't really make much difference. There is definitely some vac from the
> carb, and the can holds vacuum. The mech adv passes the twist and release
> test. But with the light there seems to be a hesitation in the advance around
> 2k, and it doesn't make any difference if the hose is attached or not.

The vac advance really does nothing with the car at a standstill, so it's
impossible to test it other than what you've done. It is quite possible that
drilling out the hole doesn't produce the same effect as what you (and your
vac advance) expected. I don't know carbs, but I do know that these things
are matters of rather great subtlety.

> The engine runs sweet most of the time, but when cold and every so often,
> there is a certain lumpiness and feeling that alls not well. Having said
> that though I don't have anything to compare it against and remember the
> only other T3 (a square) I have driven being a bit more sporty feeling- it
> had a fairly new VAG replacement engine according to the owner.

Do you still have the OE carbs? If so, consider installing them for a few
months. You might find that they were actually quite a bit better suited to
your engine and distributor.

> I checked the plugs and they all seem OK. I have changed them in the past
> trying to sort this out but to no avail. They seem a bit sooty around the
> edges but browney grey aroung the electrodes. I got 17 mpg on the last tank
> full, despite it running OK. I do drive a lot of fairly short journeys- 6
> miles or so to work, but even after 100 miles on motorway, the best I've had
> was about 26mpg (imp) (21mpg US). I changed the pump but I don't think the
> old one was faulty. I just don't get it. This mileage is just crap. I can't
> find anything wrong. I've checked for leaks and can't find/smell any. The
> valve clearances have been regularly checked/set and are OK. The only thing
> left that is a bit worrying is that the compression on 3 is a bit lower than
> the others- 100ish against 120/130 for the others. Could this really be the
> cause of my troubles?

At your next valve adjustment, consider removing the rocker arms and
torquing the lower head studs. DO use a torque wrench, and DO these to the
exact specified torque with the engine cold. If one stud won't tighten up, you
have a pulled head stud and you engine needs case savers, not P/Cs.