Re: [T3] Welding/Sheetmetal question

Hi Aaron,

Hang in there...these cars are always going to present
you with tasks that seem impossible at first, but are
easy to work through with information/support.  I
remember when I got all stressed out when I adjusted
the valves for the first time...then again when I
removed the engine for the first time...and again when
I recently found a bunch of rust-through.  The work
may take a while...and you may experience setbacks
along the way...but you will finish it, and it'll all
be worth it in the end.

Like, after I removed all the fenders, doors, etc.
from my Fastback, and found all the rust-through, I
was pretty bummed...I'd never welded before, and I
certainly didn't have the equipment.  A friend of mine
dropped by one day, offered the welder and these words
of wisdom: "you wont lay a smooth bead your first
time...you'll use the grinder a lot...but you will
gradually learn how to lay a smooth bead, and wont be
using the grinder so much near the end".  He was
right...I pretty much taught myself how to weld, and
did the whole job myself for way less than a body shop
would have charged.

Anyway, if you want more information feel free to drop
me a line...dougbrashear@yahoo.com.

-Doug
73 Fastback