Re: [T3] Automatic Squareback

Peter Legault

The 71 AT would be one of the best years. There should NOT be any
noticable kick on the downshift (I assume you mean the off-throttle
downshift
that happens as you slow down.) If his does, it most likely means that he
has a bad vacuum modulator, the wrong vacuum modulator, or it is the right
one, but it is misadjusted.

Unlike most cars, the VW vacuum modulator must be adjusted when it is
installed. The Bentley manual covers the proceedure.

My automatic does the same thing shifting up and down from first to second
and vise versa. I have adjusted the original modulator and also tried
replacing it with a new one. I can't seem to get it to stop. Adjusting the
modulator simply changes the shifting rpm. I have just learned to get used
to it, but would very much like to correct this annoying problem.

---