Re: [T3] Automatic Squareback

<x-flowed>
No, just coasting through a parking lot, it downshifted from 2nd to 1st,
there was noticeable "clunk".

Ach, nein! :) I really don't think so. Have your friend follow up on the suggestions from Jim and Russ.

I got a lot of "quality time" with my '69 AT on the Parma trip; a drive like that, and you start to notice the little things. There's one thing I found kind of interesting in particular. If I was approaching or climbing a hill and wanted to go 50 or 55 in 2nd to pull the hill, I could get into 2nd in two ways: either floor it just to the kickdown spring stop and shift manually into 2nd, or just push down through the kickdown spring and let the kickdown switch bring it down to 2nd gear. I found on my car that the switch-controlled downshift was noticeably smoother/quicker than the manual shift to 2nd with the shift lever at full throttle.

	What do other AT drivers find?

Another Parma-inspired AT note and some questions -- Russ, I borrowed a 1/4-20 tap from a friend and bought a 1/4-20 bolt so that I can tap out a larger threaded hole to repair my AT fill tube mounting down there at the base of the tube. I haven't sized things up too closely yet, and I'm anticipating that the job is going to be a bit of a fussy one. Should I drill out the M6 hole with the appropriately-sized 1/4-20 pre-tap drill, or just try to run the 1/4-20 tap into the M6-threaded hole? Hm, also wonder how I'm going to get things like drills and taps up there, and run the tap straight. Any suggestions appreciated!

-Greg