Re: [T3] Running Unleaded

On 3 Nov 2002, Jim Adney replied:

> > it read about 500ppm hydrocarbons on the emmissions test. He said
> > that was a bit high but nothing to worry about.

> What is the spec here? HCs would be high if it was running rich.

I don't know what the spec is but a year ago the HCs were much higher and
the tester said it was because it was running too lean!? HCs get high
because the fuel isn't burning properly don't they? I certainly can't wind
in the idle jet at the moment without the engine starting to miss and hunt.
Perhaps I have more wear in the engine than I want to acknowlege. I know
I've a bit lower compression on 3 than the others. On the other hand, if I
increased the advance, the RPMs would increase, so I could back off the Idle
screw, and maybe wind in the idle jet screw a bit which would mean I would
use less fuel at idle and maybe sort things out? I read some advice on
another website for MG cars that the advance figures were only applicable on
a new car and that as the car aged, so the advance should be taylored to the
specific car by trial and error- increasing the advance until it started
knocking, then backing it off till it just stopped knocking. Is this wise
with a VW?

> > When I bought it it was set to about> > 20deg> > adv at idle.
> You SHOULD check the vacuum> and mechanical advance mechanisms to make
sure that they are BOTH> working smoothly. The vacuum advances sometimes die
and they are there> to improve gas mileage. The mechanical advance mechanism
often gets> rusty and sticks, giving reduced power and awful gas mileage.
I only recently overhauled the dist- the mech advance seemed free and I
cleaned
and oiled it. The vac advance is working OK. However, with my timing light
when I was setting up the pertronix, I could see that the advance wasn't
smooth-
 there were pronounced steps in it. I guess I'll have to pull it apart
again:-(
> Extra advance will actually make the coil run hotter, but that's with the>
std> ignition. It may not make any difference at all to the Pertronics. In>
general,> the dwell to shoot for is 45-50 deg.
Duh! Of course it will- I didn't think that one through properly- more
dwell=more time
passing current therefore hotter. Oh well- I don't think the dwell is
settable so it must be OK.
Thanks for the input Jim,
Mark Seaton
'73 TA London