Re: [T3] Brake Caliper Question for Jim A.

On 1 May 2002, at 16:29, Type 3 Junkie wrote:

> I was thinking about haveing my front calipers powdercoated also , [as i
> noted in a previous e-mail ..i am having the majority of my suspension
> powdercoated]
> If i was to give the PC shop two stripped down calipers to PC would this
> hurt them in anyway? I would have them do them w/ the halfs bolted together, but
> could this hurt the peformance in any way?

You don't want any paint in the bores, and there are some rubber seals
captured between the halves. I don't really care for this idea; I'd rather see
them plated. They were originally a gold chromate finish, but this doesn't
weather well. A plain zinc plating has very good corrosion resistance. They
would have to be split to do this well, I think.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054