Re: [T3] cold air induction

On 3 May 2002, at 12:03, Brian Schlepp wrote:

> I would think you would not want to compromise the cooling system in any
> way...even a small percentage...don't let any of that air flow be used for
> any other task.

See comment below.

> The normal pathway of the air through the heat exchanger then into the
> cabin only happens when conditions are cold,...when the engine doesn't
> need as much cooling because the temperature differential between
> ambiant and engine is the greatest.

I think the thing you are missing here is the fact that there is air being
pumped thru the heat exchangers ALL the time, summer and winter. In the
winter it goes into the cabin, but in the summer it just gets dumped in front of
the engine. So the cooling system is already oversized to provide for this.

> It takes alot of energy to pressurize air that is being consumed.  I
> don't think the cooling fan could supply enough volume or pressure to
> gain even a couple psi at the carb.

I agree that this won't get us as much as even a couple of psi, let alone a
bar. But I think that most of us would be happy to get air delivered to the
carb at atmospheric pressure, considering that the normal situation is that
the passive induction experiences pressure drops by the time the air gets to
the carb.

When calculating cfm for the carbs, it is misleading to do this just from the
carb capacity. You have to calculate 1600cc (or whatever) x RPM/2 and
convert to cu ft. The carb figure is just the max that the carb can handle.

I THINK all these figures are in std cfm, or taken at normal pressures and
temps.