[T3] Timing and dwell

<x-charset windows-1255>For the last couple of days (on and off of course :~) )I've been playing
around with the timing of my engine. I believe I've just about found the
right timing - approx 10 degrees BTDC. Originally it was more than that.

After I had got the hang of how to adjust it I first went by the book and
timed it at 0 degrees. The car made it very plain that it was not happy -
loads of backfiring and general dissatisfaction. At 7.5 degrees it was
better, but still backfired a bit before it heated up, so I put it at 10
degrees. It now sounds OK, but I won't know until I start it from cold
tomorrow. (How long does an engine take to cool down?)

Anyway, my question is this: why does the dwell change as I change the
timing? I was under the impression that only changing the points gap changes
the dwell but the meter originally showed 47.8, then over 50 at 0 degrees,
and now 49.1 at 10 degrees.

Also, is there any empirical way to find the right timing? Actually, is
there a "right" timing or is it a matter of experimentation to get the
engine running smoothly? It doesn't help, I suppose that I don't know
whether I have a stock '69 engine, distributor, etc.

Regards,

Daniel Baum,
'69 Type 34 automatic.