Re: [T3] Distributor Cap Question

On 5 May 2002, at 21:41, jim wrote:

> I was going over the tune-up specs on my squareback (72 Manual FI Engine) and I
> removed the dizzy cap and the spring-loaded "bullet" that gets juice from the
> Coil fell out.  It looks like it was rubbing the rotor since the copper(?) plate
> on top of the rotor was dirty where the bullet makes contact.  I assume that
> "bullet" should not be free to fall out and I couldn't get it back in without it
> falling out again.  I don't have a spare cap at the moment so I need to check
> some my local stores or mail order one if they don't have it.

That carbon brush should have a smaller diameter "peg" on its upper end
which can be captured in the spring inside. You just have to push and turn to
get it to engage. If you don't have that peg, then it is possible that the brush
has broken in half and is now useless. If so, I think ALL Bosch caps use the
same brush. VW even carried the brush alone as a replacement part.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054