Re: [T3] valve cover gasket glued

On 6 May 2002, at 12:47, Dave Hall wrote:

> What's the deal on this glueing the gasket to the R/C and/or the head?

I once had a VC gasket sag down along the upper length and spray out oil.
I've just done 6 dabs of gasket compound as a habit since then.

> We can easily get good quality neoprene/cork composition gaskets.  I once
> had trouble with a crumbly cork one from a cheap engine gasket set.

We see both kinds of gaskets here. The good ones are the black/cork ones,
but I think the only real difference is that the good ones are thicker.

> I usually use a new gasket each time.  If I need to re-use one, I put it in a
> shallow dish of boiling water to get it to swell up again.

I reuse them many times. Having them glued to the cover makes this easy
since they just stay were they belong when you take off the cover to adjust
the valves. The hot oil seems to do a good job of keeping them pliable, but
eventually they fail the thumbnail test and I scrape them out and replace
them.

Certainly you can replace them every time, but if reusing them is quicker,
cheaper, and just as effective, why do it? It's also more in line with the karma
of the car.  ;-)

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org