Re: [T3] tow assembly

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>In a message dated 5/7/02 7:21:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
DGaries808@aol.com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] tow assembly
 Date:  5/7/02 7:21:23 PM Central Daylight Time
 From:  DGaries808@aol.com
 To:    john@stickergiant.com
 CC:    type3@vwtype3.org

 john@stickergiant.com writes:

 << Subj:     [T3] tow assembly
  Date:  5/7/02 6:07:59 PM Central Daylight Time
  From:  john@stickergiant.com (John Fischer)
  To:    lindgre@online.no (Per Lindgren), type3@vwtype3.org

  Group-
  I want to tow my small boat with my '69 squareback.

  any suggestions on what kind of tongue weight, and hardware  I would need ?

 If you use a trailer, add the weight of the boat + trailer. That is the
 maximum hauling
 weight rating you will need. Add 10%. then the tongue weight required will
be
 10%
 of the hauling weight.

 If you don't use a trailer (a tow-bar situation), deduct the weight of the
 trailer, meaning the (weight of the boat + rig). That will be the hauling
 weight. The tongue weight will be 10% of the hauling weight.

 Generally, you will need to get a hitch rated at about 2,000 lb. hauling
 weight and 10% of that as the tongue weight. I have such a hitch on my 1999
 New Beetle, and it
 works fine for hauling about the weight of a VOW Beetle hauled on a tow bar
 basis. Go to a hitch place such as Joe's Hitches in Plan, Texas. They can
 give you about the
 figures that I have given you. I hauled my 1949 Humbler via tow bar to the
 recent Annis Bug-in this way. I drove up to 70 mph.

 Don Guars in Dallas
 dgaries@aol.com

Kindly substitute the following words in my reply:

VOW = VW
Plan = Plano
Humbler = Hebmüller
Annis = Ennis
Guars = Garies

That's what happens when you let the computer correct your spelling in
e-mails and you make a mistake.

Don Garies

</x-charset>