Re: [T3] damper pipe/por15

On 7 May 2002, at 23:00, Wuzmop@aol.com wrote:

> I found an NOS damper pipe for my 73. Has anybody used POR15 on exhaust
> parts? If this won't work, what would be a good inexpensive option to keep it
> from rusting. Also, should I be worried about the nut in the center that it
> hangs from? My worry is that in trying to get it off, I twist it and tear a hole
> in the muffler. I don't know how thick and sturdy the metal on the muffler is, I
> believe it to be the original.

Don't know about rust prevention here. Most exhaust parts really rust from
the inside out, so things you do to the outside have little effect.

Nut in the center? You mean the one on the left side? Again heat the nut to
dull red, let it cool a bit, then remove the bolt. If the bolt breaks off, drill it out
and put another nut behind it. That nut is on a bracket that is pretty strong.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054