Re: [T3] exhaust nuts and studs

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> I am affraid to try at the nuts/studs
> because they are rusted badly. Is their a secret to not let the studs
break
> or to get them out easily? I have heard to apply heat but I am not sure if
> apply heat to the stud or the aluminum head, or how much heat to apply.

It's always a tricky compromise between being certain not to break a stud by
taking a long time over the job or trying a reasonable amount of force and
risking a broken stud.

I reckon doses of plus-gas or liquid wrench etc for a few days before, then
first try to get it a fraction tighter to break the grip of the threads
(about a millimetre of rotation!).  You may need to alternately loosen and
tighten to clean the thread of rust.
Concentrated heat on the nut will certainly help it expand on the thread and
break the rust.

Broken studs usually mean the engine would have to come out, though you may
have enough room to drill one out once the muffler isn't there.  Luckily I
haven't had to, yet.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/