RE: [T3] rx7 belt tension

<x-charset iso-8859-1>The pulley on my alternator is solid and REALLY bolted down -- like, I can't
remove it unless I were to whip out my air compressor but there's really no
need.  I just bought a variety of belts until I found the one that fit.
Installation is just like what was said below.  Only above 5500rpm does the
belt have a chance of flying off.  I've gone as high as 6500+rpm and the
belt stayed on.

Per, I did try shimming the bottom of the alternator.  Though a good idea it
put the + terminal too close to the engine lid for my comfort level.  My
alternator + terminal is pointing up.  For those whose terminal is located
in a different position, shimming *may* work but it depends upon the
clearance 'tween the engine lid and alternator housing.  It may not be a
viable alternative but belts come in a very good array of sizes so what I
and Lance have done works quite well.

  Toby Erkson
  air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
  '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chip, Jamex suspension, 2.25" MagnaFlow
  Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/

</x-charset>